This week on Le Petite Gourmet:
Breakfast Biscuits with Bacon and Cheese
Okay, last Monday night my children conspired against me, I think, in order to ensure that I did not sleep a wink all night! One after the other kept waking and needing things, ALL NIGHT!!! By six in the morning, I had two girls in my bed and the knowledge that at this point, all my chances of any real sleep were gone. So I got up.
A little while later, Grace followed me, unable to sleep because her allergies were really bothering her. I told her that since we were both up when we didn't want to be, we should at least have something delicious to eat for breakfast! And so she and I made a yummy, but very simple breakfast, while we enjoyed the sunrise together.
When it was ready, we woke Daddy and Zak and asked if they would like to come eat with us, and they did! The four of us had fun just visiting and laughing over breakfast, a meal that we all don't eat together very often. Just the four of us rarely get to do anything just us, so it was a nice little moment for all of us.
I did get a nap a couple hours later at least. So all in all it was a lovely morning.
Here is our recipe:
2 cans of refrigerated biscuits (though you can certainly use your favorite recipe, we just had two cans that needed to be used)
1 package of bacon
cheddar cheese slices
butter (if desired)
and fruit (we cut up a cantaloupe)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lay out biscuits on a cookie sheet.
- Cover second cookie sheet with foil.
- Lay bacon strips evenly on foil.
- Place both sheets in the oven, with the biscuits on the middle rack and the bacon on the lower rack.
- Cook biscuits the recommended time, around 12-14 minutes, then remove when tops are just starting to brown.
- Turn the bacon with tongs and cook for another 5-8 minutes, or to desired crispiness. Remove.
- Slice desired number of cheddar slices. (We did this while waiting for everything to cook)
- Place a slice of cheese, and several bacon slices (cut to fit) on each biscuit (add butter if desired).
- Serve sandwiches with fruit!
There are plenty of delicious additions to this delectable dish, such as eggs, cottage cheese, or any other favored breakfast items. We were out of most of these things on this particular morning. But it was tasty even so.