Skip to main content

Reading Roundup #3 - Preschool Edition

I've decided to divide and conquer this week. This post will highlight some of the preschool books that we read over the past few weeks, while the next post will contain the favorites for young readers and myself.

To start us off we have a family favorite that was so well loved it literally fell apart, and we finally replaced it, with the board book version. I am very pleased as it is the entire story and not a condensed version. We love Wooly!


Kit said this was her favorite page, the one with all the Kitty Kisses! My personal fave is the the duck lullaby, the kids go crazy giggly when I belt out my quacky rendition. Fun times.


I have to confess that I have never really been able to get into the How Do Dinosaurs series for reasons I can't exactly pinpoint. I think the artwork is great. I love that they write the names of each dino on the various pages. I think it a very clever way to help kids sort out their own feelings in a funny and non-accusing way. So I am as baffled as anyone as to why I just can't seem to fall in love with these books. I did however really like this one, and so did Kit. We read it nearly every day while we had it from the library.


Another favorite page featuring a kitty cat.


I saw this and thought it was cute, but I wasn't sure Kit would let me read it to her as it had a little bit longer passages of text than she can usually tolerate. She really liked it though! She was so engaged in the illustrations that she listened to the whole thing, and we usually remained on a spread long after I had finished reading the text, just so we could talk about the pictures. She notices so much detail.


And another kitty! No wonder she was especially into reading her library books together! Haha!


I did a little happy dance right there in the library when I glanced through this book! Not only are the pictures awesome, but the whole book is about unique words. Words like brouhaha, hornswoggled, and caterwauling! The cover pages have all the words and their definitions listed. And the story is fantastic. In fact, Zak, 12, saw it and asked what it was about. I told him, he thumbed through the book, and then said, "Cool! I wanna read it, too." Then he took it with him to his bed to read during his bedtime reading time.


And best of all...it has a plethora of kitties!!! Kit wouldn't turn the pages until she had examined each one.


Last, but not at all least, was this beautifully illustrated story. I love the author/artist's style for these pictures, with each spread containing beautiful little surprises. The story is sweet and simple, told mostly by the artwork itself. 






All of these were well loved this month, most were rechecked out at least once. 

Happy Reading, Friends!


Kid Lit Blog Hop

Comments

  1. We love little wooly also. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all great recommendations! Although I have to admit that I'm wondering when the YouTube video of you singing the duck lullaby from "Who Will Tuck Me In Tonight?" will surface. ;-) Thanks for joining us in the Kid Lit Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! No doubt it would land me a record deal. :) Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Le Petite Chef: Mud Pie

Here it is, as promised, Grace's Mud Pie recipe! She did all the work, I helped explain terms and measurements, stirred at the very end to make sure everything was evenly coated (at her request), and helped hold the pot. She let one of her friends spread the Nutella and add the "dirt" to one of the pies while she did the other.  This is a very kid friendly recipe, I highly recommend it for ages 8 and up! The original recipe is in the book The Cooking Book, by Jane Bull. But we modified it just a bit. Here are our supplies: 3/4 c butter 1 tbsp cocoa powder 1/2 c sugar 1 c graham cracker crumbs 1/2 c dried fruit 1 chocolate bar (we used Nutella spread instead) We added: Heath chocolate and toffee bits Black Sixletts (found in the party aisle) These are the original measurements, we doubled the recipe though. Step 1: Crush graham crackers. We used a gallon size zipper bag and a coffee mug (I don't own

Saying Goodbye

For the entire month of August, I just didn't let myself think about it beyond the facts. For the last two weeks, I just focused on anything else that took my mind off of it. Over the weekend I was busy getting things ready, so I was too busy to think about it. Tuesday came. Miss V came. It was a good visit, with laughing and smiling, and questions asked and answered, and Kit played with her, and smiled and made us laugh like usual. But it was different, and we felt it. I didn't let myself go there, because I didn't want to break down, not that it would have been the first time in front of her (nor the second, or third, or even fourth probably.)  And then it was time for her to go, and we took some pictures, and all the kids hugged her, and I held Kit on my shoulder on the steps so she could wave goodbye until Miss V is out of sight like she has every week for at least five months. And then we closed the door, and Kit went on with business as usual, beca

Preschool at Home! Chalkboard Painting

Here is another treasure from the backfiles. This started as an act of desperation on my part, I just needed her to be occupied so I could finish something, but it quickly became one of her favorite activities. If you have a chalkboard (we made ours on a half wall with chalkboard paint), all you need is a paintbrush, sponge, or washcloth, and a cup of water. Dip the brush in the water and have at it! Kit LOVES how the water turns the board black. So often, she will be at this so long that by the time she gets across the board, the first area she painted will be dry and a fresh pallet once again. You can get creative with the things you use as paintbrushes, but she has been completely happy with our basic art brushes from Walmart. I love watching her do this.