Skip to main content

Another Laundry Rant

I think my desire to find order in chaos is what constantly drives me to delude myself into thinking that 'tomorrow' will be better, cleaner, quieter, smoother. But today was yet another reminder that my life was not meant to be clean, quiet, or run smoothly. No, indeed. All my big plans for establishing order, routine, and self sufficiency were cruelly suffocated in the span of less than 45 minutes.

Here's what happened.

1:30 p.m. - Zak finally starts working on his daily school assignments. I have Grace haul their burgeoning laundry hamper into the laundry room so that I can finally teach her how to start and load the machine. (We have had a few hic-ups on the way to starting our laundry routine.) I show her what settings to put the machine on, how to measure the soap, and show her the full line on the machine so as to not over load it. All goes well.

1:45 p.m.- Grandpa emerges from his room and announces that he has stripped his bed and needs all his linens washed. Victor informs him that the washer is busy and that it is going to be a long time before I can get to it. Grandpa says that's fine, there's no hurry. But we know better. Plus when I look over at the pile that he has brought out, I realize that he has stripped the entire bed including the mattress cover. I'm not overly concerned about washing the sheets, I have a clean set that I can put on his bed, but today was not the day I had this planned, and it is nearly impossible to do housekeeping chores in his room when he is there, it's very stressful. So my stress level just rose from around a 4 (not sure it ever drops below this) to about a 6.

1:50 p.m.- Grandpa comes out with more laundry, including the towels that I just put in his room yesterday, and the blanket that he never uses, that I washed just a few weeks ago. And re-emphasizes how important it is that all of these get washed. Stress level moves up to 7.

2:00 p.m. Grandpa emerges with still more laundry, his actual clothes this time, and is more than a little upset that the pile is still on the floor in front of the laundry room. He remarks that his bed doesn't have any covering on it, and Victor emphasizes that just because he decides that it's time for his clothes to be washed doesn't mean they CAN be, that there is already other laundry being washed and that it is going to be much later that his gets done. Grandpa is not happy. Meanwhile, Kit is following me all around, throwing fits because she can't touch everything she wants to touch, or mad because I keep putting her down in order to have my hands free to accomplish things. Kit is not happy. Stress level up to 8 1/2.

2:20: The washer is done. I have Zak transfer the clothes into the dryer, which he does just fine. I bring Grace in to start their second load. After she puts the soap in and gets the water going, I finally take Kit out who has been crying the whole time because I won't let her on Grace's stool, I won't let her have any candy, and because she is just plain tired and past her ability to wait for Mommy any longer. I leave Grace to load the remainder of the clothes and sit down in the rocking chair to nurse Kit. Kit is finally quiet.

2:25 p.m. Grace yells for help from the laundry room. I yell back what does she need help for. She yells back that something happened to the washing machine. I yell back asking what. She yells back "that thingy fell!!!" After several more failed attempts to elicit more detailed information, I get up, haul Kit to the laundry room to find out what's happening. I don't see any "thingy". Victor arrives, and doesn't see any "thingy". Finally, Grace is descriptive enough to draw our attention to the entire wash basin, which has apparently collapsed somehow and is sitting two inches below the rim of the washer where it is supposed to be. I put Kit down, who of course starts crying. Upon closer examination, we see that it is indeed somehow detached from it's proper place, though we have no idea how. The dryer is running, the wash basin is full of clothes and water and soap now. I have Grandpa's pile still sitting in front of the laundry room door. Kit is crying. My washer is clearly broken. There is no chance of accomplishing today what I had hoped. Stress level - exploding!

I start crying. Victor hugs me.

And that is how once again, I was reminded how foolish and futile it is for me to ever think that I might have a handle on anything around here.

But, the washer is still under warranty. They will be coming to fix it tomorrow. The kids at least have one load of clean clothes so no one is out of underwear. And now we have a concrete reason why Grandpa's clothes will not get washed today. Thank goodness I have spare sheets and towels! So I guess, everything will be better tomorrow.

Right?


 

Comments

  1. Aww. That sounds so sad. :(. The one positive thing about all this, I suppose, is that it sounds like there are a lot of linens and towels involved, not just hundreds of itty bitty white socks. Hope the dryer gets fixed tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Le Petite Chef: Mud Pie

Here it is, as promised, Grace's Mud Pie recipe! She did all the work, I helped explain terms and measurements, stirred at the very end to make sure everything was evenly coated (at her request), and helped hold the pot. She let one of her friends spread the Nutella and add the "dirt" to one of the pies while she did the other.  This is a very kid friendly recipe, I highly recommend it for ages 8 and up! The original recipe is in the book The Cooking Book, by Jane Bull. But we modified it just a bit. Here are our supplies: 3/4 c butter 1 tbsp cocoa powder 1/2 c sugar 1 c graham cracker crumbs 1/2 c dried fruit 1 chocolate bar (we used Nutella spread instead) We added: Heath chocolate and toffee bits Black Sixletts (found in the party aisle) These are the original measurements, we doubled the recipe though. Step 1: Crush graham crackers. We used a gallon size zipper bag and a coffee mug (I don't own

Saying Goodbye

For the entire month of August, I just didn't let myself think about it beyond the facts. For the last two weeks, I just focused on anything else that took my mind off of it. Over the weekend I was busy getting things ready, so I was too busy to think about it. Tuesday came. Miss V came. It was a good visit, with laughing and smiling, and questions asked and answered, and Kit played with her, and smiled and made us laugh like usual. But it was different, and we felt it. I didn't let myself go there, because I didn't want to break down, not that it would have been the first time in front of her (nor the second, or third, or even fourth probably.)  And then it was time for her to go, and we took some pictures, and all the kids hugged her, and I held Kit on my shoulder on the steps so she could wave goodbye until Miss V is out of sight like she has every week for at least five months. And then we closed the door, and Kit went on with business as usual, beca

Preschool at Home! Chalkboard Painting

Here is another treasure from the backfiles. This started as an act of desperation on my part, I just needed her to be occupied so I could finish something, but it quickly became one of her favorite activities. If you have a chalkboard (we made ours on a half wall with chalkboard paint), all you need is a paintbrush, sponge, or washcloth, and a cup of water. Dip the brush in the water and have at it! Kit LOVES how the water turns the board black. So often, she will be at this so long that by the time she gets across the board, the first area she painted will be dry and a fresh pallet once again. You can get creative with the things you use as paintbrushes, but she has been completely happy with our basic art brushes from Walmart. I love watching her do this.